Stomach Botox is considered one of the easiest and most efficient medical interventions that aim to solve the problem of obesity. Stomach Botox is a non-surgical procedure that does not require general anesthesia in addition to that it is performed within a short period of time and the patient can then be discharged without any pain.
Candidates for Gastric Botox Procedure
1. People with a BMI above 33
2. Those who suffer from health problems caused by excess weight, such as hypertension or diabetes mellitus type 2
3. Those who want to lose a certain weight over a short period.
4. People who could not lose weight with sports and diet.
5. People who suffer from binge eating and cannot control themselves.
Before the Stomach Botox procedure
1- Cut smoking a week before the procedure.
2- Cut alcohol drinking 3 days before the procedure.
3- Cut blood-diluting drinks such as ginger and green tea.
4- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin.
5- Start fasting 12 hours before the procedure to avoid nausea.
Stages of the Gastric Botox procedure
• After conducting the necessary tests and ensuring the patient’s health and readiness for the procedure, the patient is given local anesthesia so that the doctor can insert the endoscope into the stomach through the mouth.
• The endoscope is equipped with a Botox-filled injection dedicated to the stomach. Several areas of the inner stomach wall are injected with Botox, which numbs the nerves responsible for stomach movement and reduces the secretion of hunger hormones.
• This results in a decrease in the movement of the stomach and slowing down of the digestive processes, as the patient will notice early satiety and prolonged reduced appetite.
• After completing the injection, the doctor takes out the endoscope and finishes the procedure.
Botulinum toxin is a protein extracted from bacteria that is an effective treatment for some neurological diseases and cases of hyperhidrosis. It also has cosmetic uses in removing wrinkles caused by hyperactive motor muscles.
After gastric Botox procedure
1. Nutrition after Gastric Botox is the most important factor in achieving the desired weight loss. If patient closely follows the diet recommended by the doctor, they can lose 5-10 kilograms within 5-6 months after stomach botox.
2. Do not eat after stomach Botox during the first day and rely entirely on liquids.
3. Maintaining a diet determined by the doctor after the procedure, which depends on the types of food in the first periods and focuses on cutting solid foods.
4. The patient may feel a little nauseous after stomach Botox, it is totally normal and no need to worry about it.
5. If you feel any sort of severe pain in the stomach over a period of time ranging from one or two days, you should consult your doctor urgently.
Frequently asked questions after gastric botox procedure
• How long does Gastric Botox procedure take?
Gastric Botox procedure takes from 20 minutes to half an hour.
• Does Gastric Botox cause any pain?
Gastric Botox is not painful at all and does not even require general anesthesia, only local anesthesia with a small dose.
• How long does Botox stay effective inside the stomach?
Gastric Botox gives noticeable results for 6 months to a year.
• How much weight will I lose after Gastric Botox?
You may lose up to 5 to 10kg in a period of 5-6 months.
• Is it possible for me to gain weight after Gastric Botox?
As with all bariatric surgeries, the patient can gain weight after the procedure if they do not stick to a diet and do not exercise.
• When can I return to normal life after Gastric Botox?
You may start walking an hour after the Gastric Botox procedure and return to normal life on the second day directly.