It is certain that significant weight gain causes many problems for most people, as it restricts physical mobility and aggravates joint pain, it is also the main cause of several diseases such as diabetes and hypertension for all age groups.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery or Sleeve Gastrectomy is one of the most popular operations in Turkey the fastest to recover from. Patients can return to their normal life within a period of time not exceeding two to four weeks.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery is a laparoscopic surgery that we use to get rid of excess weight, as the doctor cuts approximately 80% of the stomach and eliminates part of the gastric fundus that contains the hormone ghrelin or the so-called hunger hormone.
Candidates for Gastric Sleeve Surgery:
1. People with a body mass index (BMI) of more than 40 or people with hypertension and diabetes with a BMI of more than 35.
2. People who suffer from diseases such as diabetes, hypertension or joint pain, “osteoarthritis” due to excess weight.
3. Who wants to lose a lot of weight regularly over a short period.
4. Those who have not been able to lose weight through sports or dieting.
Before the Gastric Sleeve Operation:
1- Stop smoking two weeks before the operation.
2- Stop consuming alcoholic beverages a week before the operation.
3- Be frank and open with the doctor and tell him about any kind of medication you are currently using or any previous operations you had undergone.
4- You should be fasting 8 to 12 hours prior to the operation.
Stages of the Gastric Sleeve Operation:
• At first, we conduct the necessary laboratory tests to ensure the patients’ health and that they are qualified to undergo the operation. The anaesthesiologist then asks some questions regarding the patient’s condition.
• Sleeve gastrectomy is performed under general anaesthesia. The specialized surgeon starts making 4-5 holes in the abdominal area, not exceeding 1-2 cm for each hole. Then inserts the laparoscope to start the process of dissecting about 70 to 80 percent of the stomach and removing the cut section after that.
• The operation takes approximately one to two hours, and the patient stays in the hospital for 2-3 nights until we make sure that there are no problems or leaks, and then the patient can leave the hospital.
What to do after Gastric Sleeve Surgery:
1- Rely on fluids during the first two weeks after the operation.
2- From the third week until the third month, you should eat soft and mashed foods, and then start eating solid foods.
3- Avoiding sugars and caffeine-containing stimulants that lead to dehydration and acid reflux.
4- Focus on drinking enough water and avoid alcohol.
5- Adhere to the recommended vitamins such as vitamin C and B12, iron and calcium.
6- Communicate with the doctor directly in cases of persistent pain for a day or more.
7- Stay away from strenuous activities and sports in the first period after the operation.
Frequently asked questions after Gastric Sleeve Surgery:
• Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery painful?
It can be said that there is no pain during or after the operation, on the contrary, the positives outweigh the negatives of the operation. If the doctor’s instructions are well adhered to, it is possible to lose approximately 60-75% of the excess weight and reach a body mass index between 25-32.
• How long should I stay in the hospital?
We offer our patients 2-3 nights to rest under the supervision of the nursing staff after the operation.
• When can I return to normal life?
You can walk four to six hours after the operation, and you can return to work after three days if you do office work, and ten days if the work requires physical effort.
• When will I be able to travel outside the country after the Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
It is possible to travel, whether by plane or by car, after ten days of gastric sleeve surgery.
• When can I do regular exercise?
Light sports can be started after two weeks, and the rest of the sports can be practiced a month after the gastric sleeve operation.
• Is it possible to perform a gastric sleeve operation for adolescents under the age of 18?
Sleeve gastrectomy is a safe and effective option for young adolescent patients who are still in the stage of growth and maturation, but the necessity of the operation is determined by the specialist doctor.
• Will the weight return after the gastric sleeve operation?
Gastric sleeve surgery is a successful process by 80-90%, but weight can be gained if the patient does not pay attention to his diet and more than fast food and foods that contain large calories, which in turn will enlarge the size of the stomach again.